Thursday, March 21, 2013

Home Blessing Hour

So have you ever heard of Flylady?  I found her years ago, I can't even remember when.  I have not stuck to reading her information and I have not done everything she says to do.  She is an awesome lady who helps others get organized and clean in their homes, one day, one 15-minute timer setting, at a time.

There is a lot I have learned from her and that is just natural to me today.  What I wanted to talk about today is something I have been working on the past few weeks to see if it is beneficial in helping me maintain a comfortably clean home each week.  I have tried many things, trust me.  Many attempts at systems and plans.



What I had seen happening in my home the past 6-12 months is that I was enjoying the week and being busy working and caring for the family and myself that when the weekend came, I left everything to do as far as cleaning for the weekend.  This was really starting to bother me.  I had no time to relax and enjoy on the weekends.  So I decided I was going to try the home blessing hour and that I was going to do it on a WEEK DAY.  What week day did I choose?  I chose Friday, because it was perfect to get it done before the weekend started.

So today I will share about my experience with the Home Blessing Hour and what I am doing with it.  Basically the Home Blessing Hour is a general weekly cleaning to keep things maintained.  It is not deep cleaning (maybe the first time you do it but if you do it weekly it is not deep cleaning).  It is, like the name of it, an hour long.  You take 6 chores, set a timer for 10 minutes, and do each chore for 10 minutes and when the timer goes off you stop and you are done.

She has six things that she says to do.  The ones that I have been trying to do is are:

  1. Cleaning the wood floors and kitchen/bathroom floors on my hands and knees with hot soapy water-just seems cleaner that way and seems to be what works best for me.  
  2. Dusting the house-using my Swiffer duster which I love love love.  I used to always want to clear every surface and use a dusting spray to make everything shine, but this left me never wanting to dust. Along comes the Swiffer and it makes dusting so much easier.  My kids love to use it as well and I don't mind as much because they aren't spraying a cleaner, they are just using the Swiffer duster.
  3. Vacuum bedrooms where carpet is.
  4. Cleaning the glass in the house with Windex.
  5. Wipe out the bathtub with cleaner, scrub toilet and wipe down counters and sink.
  6. Want to add changing sheets on the beds, but haven't done that in the routine part just yet.

That is all.  Then I do quick pick ups with the families help, laundry and dishes mostly daily and then deep clean as needed when I have extra time.  I know taking an hour on Friday after working all day seems daunting, but hoping it will be rewarding to see the clean house all weekend.

How do you do our cleaning routines?  What have you found that seems to work well for you?  Do share...

No comments:

Post a Comment